Located in Calgary and reporting to the Manager, Facilities Projects, the Senior Project Development Engineer will provide expertise and support the development of new projects and initiatives aligned with the gas transportation re-contracting effort, implementation of the energy management plan and the APL high energy natural gas strategy (HENG) for receipts and deliveries. The position will be responsible for applying engineering to new business strategies and providing engineering guidance to kick off the facility design concept within the Engineering team and in alignment with business development and operational objectives.
- Develop high energy natural gas (HENG) concepts into an executable plan with milestones and deliverables initiated to allow increased levels of NGL within the gas stream in support of re-contracting gas transportation on the pipeline.
- Provide feasibility studies that encompass engineering, operation and economic value related to new opportunities for new gas connections and transportation service proposals and other re–contracting opportunities.
- Work within the internal project management processes to ensure initiation, plan and monitoring of activities are conducted rigorously from initiation to commercial execution and have adequate detail to achieve objectives.
- Attain a proficient understanding of Alliance business model and shipper value proposition that ensures proposals are development to maximize their netback. This may require the application of creative and unique solutions for facility design that must be analyzed for technical and operational compliance and provide fit for service functionality.
- Ensure stakeholder engagement at planning levels with appropriate team members and stakeholders to establish practical and mutually agreed upon design criteria based on facility operational, maintenance and performance requirements.
- Development documentation which may include project charters, execution plans, design basis memorandums (DBMs), cost estimates, schedules, design drawings, operating practices and philosophies in support the economic evaluation and justification of project initiatives.
- Manage project stage gate process and technical peer reviews to attain consensus which may include management approval.
- Resource appropriate external and internal subject matter experts to achieve objectives.
- Ensure all designs meet applicable code, regulatory and operational compliances and follow the requirements of Alliance specifications, procedures and practices.
- Work with EPC contractors and other subject matter experts as the APL owner’s engineering representative to support the development of projects and initiatives. This may involve the development of new technologies not previously operating within the Alliance system.
- Provide periodic communication and inform team members and stakeholder groups of high energy gas project design concepts and status.
- Maintain knowledge of industry practices and technological advances related to gas pipeline and NGL transportation.
- Meet with operational representatives on a periodic basis to ensure support requirements are understood and that all related operational requirements related to implementation of the projects or initiatives are undertaken.
- Engineering degree in an applicable discipline, professional engineering designation and eligible for registration in Alberta, British Columbia and Saskatchewan.
- Professional Engineer with a minimum of 10 years of related experience in the design, and fabrication of natural gas and NGL systems including gas processing facilities, dehydration systems, gas-liquid separators, slug catchers, stabilizer technologies, pump station design, measurement, compressors and storage and truck loading facilities.
- Previous experience in a project development with a high level of technical skill, ability to carry out project economic evaluation and excellent time management skills.
- Professional attitude to champion a wide variety of projects from initiation to commercial success.
- Team orientation with demonstrated ability to work with minimal supervision in a matrix environment.
- Ability to manage external resources to support the development of project scoping documentation, estimates and schedules.
- Demonstrated leadership, decision-making and negotiating skills as well as excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Motivated, innovative and capable of handling several assignments, managing a diverse range of stakeholders/contractors, and prioritize demands and workload are key competencies.
- Alliance Pipeline offers a competitive compensation package, which includes bonuses, benefits and relocation plans.
To apply, please send your cover letter and resume quoting competition #13-931 by the deadline date of May 27, 2013 to:
Alliance Pipeline Ltd.
800, 605 - 5th Avenue S.W.
Calgary, AB T2P 3H5
Fax: (403) 206-7131
As an equal opportunity employer, Alliance is committed to diversity in the workplace. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those under consideration will be contacted for an interview.